Defragmentation Error, The Volume (C:) was not Optimized

7

Event ID 257

The volume (C:) was not optimized because an error was encountered:
The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

I have Windows 8.1 64 Bit (HDD) and lately I noticed the above event in my Event Viewer. I get every day 3 or 4 of these errors. Anyone found a solution to this ?


  • SFC /SCANNNOW didn't solve the problem: Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.



Solutions that I did not try but might work

  1. Basic steps to use diskpart to assign a drive letter to the system partition

    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

    2. Type diskpart and press Enter. You leave the standard command prompt and enter the diskpart utility. (Nothing exciting happens, don't worry.)

    3. Type list disk and press Enter to get a listing of the disks on the system. (More accurately, the disks visible to diskpart.) Figure out which disk contains the partition you want to assign a drive letter to.

    4. Type select disk X, where X is the applicable disk number.

    5. Type list partition and press Enter to get a listing of recognized partitions on disk X (from step 4). Your desired partition will the listed there. If not, go outside and enjoy nature.

    6. Type select partition Y, where Y is the applicable partition number.

    7. Type assign letter=Z, where Z is the drive letter you wish to assign. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point.

    Once the system recognizes the drive letter (a reboot may help; as I mentioned, I did not reboot before the trim worked, but did have to wait awhile), you should be able to defrag/trim.

    To unassign the drive letter:

    A. Carry out steps 1 - 6 above.

    B. Type remove and press Enter. Diskpart should reply: DiskPart successfully removed the drive letter or mount point.

    I hope this helps.


  1. I am not entirely sure why it helped, but after I had the same issue (0x80070057 during defrag, chkdsk reports no errors) reseting the journal seemed to fix it.

    Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

    fsutil usn deletejournal /D volume pathname
    fsutil usn createjournal m=max-value a=alloc-delta volume pathname

    Eg :
    fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
    fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

    Maybe it helps someone else as well.

The answers are from here

windows-8
windows-8.1
event-viewer
asked on Super User Jan 9, 2014 by Devid • edited Feb 11, 2014 by Devid

2 Answers

3

After doing some research, I found out that Microsoft released a Hotfix for this issue.


Symptoms

When you run the Disk Defragmenter (Defrag.exe) utility on a volume on a computer that's running Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, the defrag operation fails. Additionally, event ID 257 is logged in the Application log. This event displays a "The parameter is incorrect" error message. In this case, you may be unable to optimize the volume for space efficiency.

Prerequisites

To apply this hotfix, you must be running one of the following operating systems:

  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows Server 2012 R2


from KB Article Number: 2929874

answered on Super User Apr 1, 2014 by PaulTOB • edited Apr 1, 2014 by Devid
0

It often results from an 'unusual' (such as ^ & or $ ) character in a file or folder names. Therefore, suggest you use the System File Checker

sfc /scannow

Which will take some time to complete.

answered on Super User Jan 9, 2014 by K7AAY • edited Apr 20, 2017 by K7AAY

User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0