I have a Samsung 7 Gamer laptop that comes with Windows 8 installed. I have an MSDN subscription and I wanted to install Windows 8 Pro. I have tried both adding the Pro code into the pre-installed Windows as well as a fresh clean install.
Windows Update is having problems. Updates are listing as being available but once the download starts it seems to just stop and go back to the list of updates. Or it sometimes says there are no updates available at all.
I have looked on the net and tried various steps there such as uninstalling my NVidia drivers, disabling all start-up services except Microsoft ones and running
sfc /scannow via a command prompt.
I have looked into the log file and am seeing a few errors like these:
2013-04-21 15:26:29:464 1124 d74 DnldMgr Download job bytes total = 1989293, bytes transferred = 1330139 2013-04-21 15:26:30:977 1124 5d0 WuTask Uninit WU Task Manager 2013-04-21 15:26:31:352 1124 106c Agent * WARNING: Exit code = 0x8024000B 2013-04-21 15:26:31:352 1124 106c Agent ********* 2013-04-21 15:26:31:352 1124 106c Agent ** END ** Agent: Finding updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates] 2013-04-21 15:26:31:352 1124 106c Agent ************* 2013-04-21 15:26:31:352 1124 106c Agent WARNING: WU client failed Searching for update with error 0x8024000b
Then further on:
2013-04-21 15:26:32:649 1124 d3c AU WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80070490 2013-04-21 15:26:32:649 1124 d3c AU UpdateDownloadProperties: download priority has changed from 3 to 2. 2013-04-21 15:26:32:649 1124 d3c AU WARNING: Failed to change download properties of call, error = 0x80070057
It's almost like it starts to download then just decides to give up. I did manage to persuade some very small updates to install. But the others just fall over.
Any help appreciated!
Try the following, copy the text into a textfile (Notepad). SaveAs or change the file extension to "resetWSUS.bat" instead of ".txt". Execute the script by right clicking the bat file and selecting "..Run as Administrator". You must run the script as administrator.
This script will turn off a couple services, rename the folders and register a few dlls that Windows Update Services use.........
ECHO ON net stop wuauserv net stop bits net stop cryptsvc ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 wups2.dll /s regsvr32 wups.dll /s regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s regsvr32 msxml.dll /s regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s regsvr32 shell32.dll /s regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 wups.dll /s regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s regsvr32 jscript.dll /s regsvr32 atl.dll /s regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s net start wuauserv net start bits net start cryptsvc PAUSE
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0