I have tried every way I know how to get Windows 7 SP1 to install. It fails every time. Below is what looks like the relevant contents of the CBS.Log file. If there are further details that would help or more information I can gather, I will get it.
2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS Startup: Package: Package_for_KB976902~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~220.127.116.1114 completed startup processing, new state: Installed, original: Installed, targeted: Installed. hr = 0x80070490 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~18.104.22.16814, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, start state: Partially Installed, target state: Installed, client id: SP Coordinater Engine 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS Failed to query DisableWerReporting flag. Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND] 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml to WER report because it is missing. Continuing without it... 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad to WER report because it is missing. Continuing without it... 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS SQM: Reporting package change completion for package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22.214.171.12414, current: Partially Installed, original: Partially Installed, target: Installed, status: 0x80070490, failure source: CBS Other, failure details: "(null)", client id: SP Coordinater Engine, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 517, first merged sequence: 517 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS SQM: Upload requested for report: PackageChangeEnd_Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~126.96.36.19914, session id: 101457924, sample type: Standard 2011-08-15 10:32:52, Info CBS SQM: Ignoring upload request because the sample type is not enabled: Standard
I have downloaded the service pack and ran it from the EXE, I have installed it from Windows Update, I have ran all the "troubleshooting" trouble shots I could find. Nothing has worked so far.
Any advice would be appreciated.
It looks like the hr = 0x80070490 is an error. Which led me eventually to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 from what I can tell there are missing components or something not setup properly, but the above links is to a "fixit" that should take care of the problem
If the solution by tkrabec does not solve it, download and run the SUR tool, once this is done perform a safe boot and install the downloaded SP1 exe.
To Boot Clean in Windows 7 and Vista
Accessing the System Configuration Utility
Configure Selective Startup options
After performing the necessary steps and installing SP1, restore your system to normal boot by doing the following:
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0