I am running Windows 10 20H2 on a HP EliteBook G4.
I have the following problem:
I cannot run VMs attached to a virtual switch.
- All VMs run successfully when not using a Virtual Switch ("not connected" under network adapter)
- When I assign a virtual switch (any type, any kind) to a VM, it hangs in starting at 10% and eventually fails with a timeout error. I tried both an empty VM not containing an OS (this should at least show the UEFI screen) and a VM containing an installation of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
I expect that I can run VMs connected to virtual switches.
What have I tried?
- Disable Antivirus
- Network reset in Windows 10 (multiple times, e.g. netcfg -d)
- Uninstall Hyper-V, delete any superfluous networking interfaces and reinstall it
- Upgrade Windows 10 (it was at 1903 before that)
- Update ethernet driver with that from HP
- Delete ethernet driver and use the default
- Upgrade BIOS
- file system and system files checks
In total I already spent about 20h also involving people from IT on this problem researching and trying various commands, following various websites. It is a problem I have not found so far (or still missed?). I hope to find someone that had the exact same problem and can remember the solution.
What errors do I get?
I think these are the relevant ones:
- Event ID 12006 with following message
- 'Ubuntu20.04.1LTS' Synthetic Ethernet Port: Failed to finish reserving resources with Error 'This operation returned because the timeout period expired.' (0x800705B4). (Virtual machine ID XXXX-XXX-...)
- Event ID 12030 with following message
- 'Ubuntu20.04.1LTS' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID XXXX-XXX-...)
- Event ID 12010 with following message for a "Generation 1" VM with a legacy network adapter
- 'Emptyv1_net' Emulated Ethernet Port (Instance ID XXXX-XXX-...): Failed to Power on with Error 'Access is denied.' (0x80070005). (Virtual machine ID XXXX-XXX-...)
- Event ID 12670 with following messages
- 'Ubuntu20.04.1LTS' failed to allocate resources while connecting to a virtual network: This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (0x800705B4) (Virtual Machine ID XXXX-XXX-...). The Ethernet switch may not exist.
- 'Ubuntu20.04.1LTS' failed to allocate resources while connecting to a virtual network: Access is denied. (0x80070005) (Virtual Machine ID XXXX-XXX-...). The Ethernet switch may not exist.