I'm in the process of attempting to upgrade my sister's computer to Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool as per the instructions provided here
The tool appears to work ok, it asks a few questions, downloads the installation files, checks for updates, creates the install media then copies the files to the boot drive and restarts. The Windows 10 boot logo is shown and it says that is it checking for updates again. Screen flickers, computer restarts then a message is shown "Restoring to previous state" or something to that effect. Then I'm back in Windows7 land.
When I log back in to windows it shows an error message stating
"0x80070571-0x2000c The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation"
Googling for that error code returned nothing of any use and neither did searching for the error message. Looking in the event viewer, I can see a seemingly related error (below) but not the error that is reported when I log in.
The error that is reported is
"Installation failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070103: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus"
This is repeated several times within a 2 minute window. From what I have found online, this error message refers to Windows update trying to update to an older/incompatible version of the driver.
List of things I've tried to get the update to work:
The hardware isn't what I would consider old (March 2014) and it certainly still runs Windows 7 very well. From what I can find it meets the published minimum requirements for Windows 10.
Does anyone have any hints on getting:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I updated the chipset, network and audio drivers (all that were listed for the motherboard), same error. Updated the bios to the latest version that was listed as stable, same error.
I did some more digging and found out the Windows 10 deployment site has some pretty good information covering update logs and a tool for parsing them. The SetupDiag also seemed to work on my Windows 7 install. However for my particular error it didn't throw any more light on the cause (the additional errors also didn't return much when Googled).
Next I tried building USB installation media and tried upgrading with that based on the comment below that it has worked better in the past (note for others reading; seriously consider doing this first, saves downloading and rebuilding the media from scratch every time. The Media Creation Tool ignores any previous attempts to download and build the media, even if it was successful ... lesson learned, eventually). While the saved me time I also got the same error back.
Finally I bit the bullet and imaged the drive and did a clean install from the USB. Worked first time, and auto-activated (which was the reason I was trying to do an in situ upgrade in the first place).
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0