So, I have been trying to get a Windows 7 and 8 designed app to work in Windows 10, but it seemed like there was no way. Up until today, that was, when I upgraded a PC with Windows 8 to Windows 10: that app was installed on the machine when running Windows 8 and I expected it to crash after the update – it didn't, rather it worked flawlessly. That app is a Windows Vista Sidebar port for Windows 7 and 8 x64 only, with no bloat. It was the most similar program to the original I could find on the Internet at some point, and still seems to be.
Why does this app work after an update and how can I get it working on a fresh Windows 10 installation, with no OS upgrades in the process?
Here is the installer, if needed: Windows Sidebar Installer: "setup-x64.exe"
EDIT: The error seems to be caused by oleaut32.dll. I tried replacing mine in System32 with the one in the PC where I did the upgrade, but the program is still crashing.
Event Viewer report:
Application Error Date: 07.04.2019 22:51:22
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Description: Nume aplicație cu defecte: sidebar.exe,
versiune: 6.0.6001.16510, marcaj temporal: 0x4625ae7c
Nume modul cu defecte: OLEAUT32.dll, versiune: 10.0.14393.0, marcaj temporal: 0x57899944
Cod excepție: 0xc0000005
Deplasare defect: 0x0000000000002255
ID proces defect: 0x8f0
Oră de început aplicație cu defecte: 0x01d4ed7b46a74e6c
Cale aplicație cu defecte: C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
Cale modul cu defecte:
ID raport: 3b407c5a-f6eb-4909-82c8-9ed0e86f9861
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-07T19:51:22.516406500Z" />
<Security /> </System> <EventData>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe</Data>
</Data> </EventData> </Event>
The solution seems to be as follows: the Windows Sidebar in Windows Vista has code in the Registry. The executable needs to be registered using the command
sidebar.exe /regserver after adding the registry keys for the Windows Sidebar. After that, all the gadgets will work.
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0