Lost Messages While Transferring Exchange to Gmail Using Outlook


Recently I began transferring old messages from a work (Exchange) account to Gmail using the IMAP connector in Outlook. It had been going fine for a few days as I organized and then moved folders.

Then, when I tried to drag over a large number of messages from the Inbox, I ran into this known Outlook bug, even though it had been working fine, previously. The updates to Outlook that are said to fix this problem have not worked for me. The crash message is as follows:

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEDF0BE79C (OUTLMIME.DLL) in OUTLOOK.EXE: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000002.

My problem, other than the continued crashing, is that I dragged the messages from the Exchange account, and so they no longer appear there, but only a small fraction of them made it into the Gmail account before the crashes started happening. Now it seems maybe they're in some sort of limbo where Outlook wants to sync them over to Gmail, but since it crashes so quickly after launch (while syncing), it is unable to do so.

I'm wondering if there's any approach I can take that will call these messages back from limbo instead of just considering them lost. In AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook, I can still see the NST and OST for the Exchange account, as well as the OST for the Gmail account. There are DAT files in the RoamCache that begin with Stream_. Should I try backing up some assortment of all these files, and removing/reconnecting my IMAP Gmail connector?


I have gotten Outlook to stop crashing by setting up a new profile. However, the messages that were in the middle of transferring do not appear in either account, neither on the server (i.e. Outlook 365 web client/Gmail web client), nor in the Outlook desktop client. I'm assuming they're trapped somewhere in a data file on my machine and I'm wondering if there's any way to get the new profile to see that there are still a few hundred messages that should be uploaded to the IMAP/Gmail account.

asked on Super User Jul 31, 2017 by bubbleking • edited Aug 2, 2017 by bubbleking

1 Answer


I was able to solve my issue with a utility called Kernel OST Viewer. It was able to open my corrupted OST and browse the messages that got lost in the transfer. For my needs, this was good enough, but if I had absolutely needed those messages to be transferred from the damaged profile to my Gmail account, they have a paid version of the utility that can do that, and a number of other export methods.

answered on Super User Nov 19, 2017 by bubbleking

User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0