Could not load file or assembly HRESULT: 0x80131515 (When adding controller to MVC project that has assembly references on network drive)


I've seen this: VSTS 2010 SGEN : error : Could not load file or assembly (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) and none of the answers work. It also doesn't appear when I build or anything. I can run the project fine, it happens when I try to add an entity framework templated controller:

controller settings

Then I get this error:

error message

All project files are on my network share because that is where My Documents resides for our work. Here is what I tried:

1) Turning Generator Serialization Assembly in project settings to on, off, and auto.

2) Adding sgen.exe.config to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools with the following code:

   <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />

3) Tried to unblock the assemblies, but I had no unblock option in the properties tab. no unblock option

None of these solutions work. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this??? This error occurs for any custom assembly from nuget or my own projects due to their location existing on the network space, but only when trying to add an EF templated controller. I can build and run the program fine.
asked on Stack Overflow Dec 15, 2011 by SventoryMang • edited May 23, 2017 by Community

10 Answers


I just needed to click "Unblock" in the file properties dialog in Windows Explorer.

answered on Stack Overflow Jan 2, 2013 by Aymeric Gaurat-Apelli • edited Sep 19, 2017 by Aymeric Gaurat-Apelli

Try adding your <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" /> to C:\[Visual Studio 2010 Install Dir]\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config directly below <runtime> and see if that helps :)

answered on Stack Overflow Dec 16, 2011 by hawkke • edited Jun 14, 2012 by Gilles 'SO- stop being evil'

Just as an additional solution, we had an issue like this recently. The solution turned out to be unblocking the files, but with a twist. We copied the files to our server in a zip file. When we extracted the files from the zip archive, they were already blocked. We were not able to unblock the files. We would click the unblock button, then OK, and when we looked at the properties, they were still blocked.

What we had to do is delete all the blocked files, unblock the source zip file, and then extract the files. At that point, the formerly blocked files were unblocked, and the application ran fine. Hope that helps someone avoid some frustration.

EDIT: I believe you also have to be running windows explorer as administrator to be able to unblock files.

answered on Stack Overflow Jan 19, 2015 by BardMorgan • edited May 19, 2017 by BardMorgan

This issue comes from the fact that some required files are on "untrusted location" such as the network or a shared location (even on the same computer). If the location is on the same computer, you can use the subst command line option.

answered on Stack Overflow Jul 19, 2012 by Mbeware

I saw from other forum regarding this issue, and here is the solution someone posted: On the property of the project that contains the DLL assembly that would not load, go to the Build setting, and way at the bottom where it says "Generate serialization assembly:", the default is Auto. Set that to Off. Your solution should then build OK.

This happened to me when I had the API in a webform solution with multiple project. It worked OK on a single-project solution MVC.

answered on Stack Overflow Aug 13, 2013 by Yogi

These solutions did not work for me either.

In my case, I was accessing files on a mapped network drive. The solution for me was to add my network IP address as a trusted drive by doing the following:

  1. Control Panel
  2. Network and Sharing Center
  3. Internet Options (bottom left of window)
  4. Security Tab
  5. Select "Local intranet"
  6. Click "Sites" button
  7. Click "Advanced" button
  8. Add the IP of your network drive to the zone.

Not sure what made this work over all other options, but this is what solved the problem for me. All project and solutions now build with no issues.

answered on Stack Overflow Nov 12, 2015 by brendo234

None of these solutions worked for me. Instead, I found the way by making sgen.exe.config via

answered on Stack Overflow May 1, 2015 by Farshid • edited May 23, 2017 by Community
  1. I just needed to click "Unblock" in the file properties dialog.

  2. Please check if your file read only, then uncheck it and do the first step (before wasting further time on this :) )

answered on Stack Overflow Dec 14, 2016 by avulosunda

The other answers here helped me to figure out this issue in PowerShell. Run Unblock-File <filename> to allow it to be accessed by the script being executed.

answered on Stack Overflow Feb 2, 2018 by Andacious

Try to unblock the file desbloquer.

This solved my problem.

answered on Stack Overflow Jun 7, 2017 by Gerardo Ramirez Riofrio • edited Jun 7, 2017 by Aditya

User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0