I am trying to deploy my website on windows server 2003. Am i missing something or what is wrong from the following error message, how can I correct it? Thank
I am having the error message:
A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
[SqlException (0x80131904): A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)]
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +1019
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +108
System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126
NHibernate.Tool.hbm2ddl.SuppliedConnectionProviderConnectionHelper.Prepare() +15 NHibernate.Tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaMetadataUpdater.GetReservedWords(Dialect dialect, IConnectionHelper connectionHelper) +89
NHibernate.Tool.hbm2ddl.SchemaMetadataUpdater.Update(ISessionFactory sessionFactory) +80
NHibernate.Impl.SessionFactoryImpl..ctor(Configuration cfg, IMapping mapping, Settings settings, EventListeners listeners) +599
MyProject.API.Data.SessionManager..cctor() in C:\Dev\Code\API\Data\SessionManager.cs:27
Typically, to troubleshoot this, you go to SQL Server Configuration Manager (SSCM) and:
Maybe it can help: Could not open a connection to SQL Server
I had this same error message, turns out it was because I didn't have mixed mode auth enabled. I was on Windows Auth only. This is common in default MSSQL deployments for vSphere, and becomes an issue when upgrading to vSphere 5.1.
To change to mixed mode auth you can follow the instructions at http://support.webecs.com/kb/a374/how-do-i-configure-sql-server-express-to-enable-mixed-mode-authentication.aspx.
I had the same error by in SQL Server Management Studio.
I found that to look at the more specific error, look at the log file created by the SQL Server. When I opened the log file, I found this error
Could not connect because the maximum number of ’2′ user connections has already been reached. The system administrator can use sp_configure to increase the maximum value. The connection has been closed
I spend quite some time figuring this out. Finally running the following code fixed my problem.
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1; go reconfigure go sp_configure 'user connections', 0 go reconfigure go
To view logs search for "logs" on windows startup button, click "view events logs". From there go to Applications under "Windows Logs". You can also choose "System" logs to see system wise errors. You can use filter on current logs by clicking "Filter Current Logs" on right side and then select "Error checkbox".
I was getting this error today. In my case, looking at the ERRORLOG file on the SQL server gave me this error:
Login failed for user ''. Reason: Failed to open the database '' specified in the login properties.
This was because I had deleted the "Default database" of this user a few days ago. Setting the default database to my new database fixed the problem.
Hope this helps someone else.
By looking into SQL SERVER log file in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG", it says "Login failed for user 'XXXXX'. Reason: An attempt to login using SQL authentication failed. Server is configured for Windows authentication only. [CLIENT: ]"
The fixing method is to open "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio" -> Right click the SQL server and then select "Properties" -> Security -> Change the authentication to mixed mode. -> Restart SQL server.
This is old but I had the problem in the connect dialog that it was still defaulting to a database I had removed. And by running those commands the default database in the prompt wasn't changing. I read somewhere I can't find now, that if you open the "Connect to Server" dialog and then select "Options" and select "Connection Properties" tab by typing the default database (no by selecting from the drop down) the the database will then stay on that new value entered. This sounds like a flaw to me but in case someone was wondering about that, that should fix the issue, at least on SQL Server 2012
All good and valid courses of investigation especially the logs for more info.
For those hitting this it might be a simple gotcha where when you have created the DB User you may have enforced a password policy and left the user to change the password on first login (i.e. left the checkboxes around the password field at their default values).
Very easily done in SQL Management Studio and can of course cause authentication issues off the bat that are masked unless you look into the logs.
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0