PHP: ldap_bind gives 500 Internal Server Error when binding with SSL but not regular bind


I have a Laravel application on a Windows Server 2016, with IIS 10 and PHP 7.2.

The application is required to do Active Directory authentication. For this I use Authentication was working for a regular LDAP connection to the corporate DC on port 3268, but when I enable SSL and connect it to port 3269 or 636 I get an 500: Internal Server Error "The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly" when my code reaches ldap_bind().

I know SSL works on the DC as I can connect on the same server with ldp.exe tool.

This is my config that is used in the application for authentication (with the default login controller)



I usually do my testing on a file with the following code in my public directory:

$a = ldap_connect("ldaps://");
ldap_set_option($a, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, 3);  // v3 = UTF8 encoding
ldap_set_option($a, LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS, 0);

echo "-$r-";

I have also tried debugging with DebugDiag, but when analysing the dump created by the crash it returns the following error:

Description Recommendation
WARNING - DebugDiag was not able to locate debug symbols for \libcrypto-1_1.dll, so the information below may be incomplete.

In php__PID__6684__Date__11_28_2019__Time_10_24_08AM__912__Second_Chance_Exception_C0000005.dmp the assembly instruction at libcrypto_1_1!CRYPTO_memcmp+29530 in C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v7.2\libcrypto-1_1.dll from The OpenSSL Project, has caused an access violation exception (0xC0000005) when trying to read from memory location 0x2a4b6fe0 on thread 0
Please follow up with the vendor The OpenSSL Project, for C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\v7.2\libcrypto-1_1.dll

and also hundreds of lines saying the same:


I don't know where the problem resides as of this moment and am unsure how to proceed.

asked on Stack Overflow Nov 28, 2019 by LeanderJCC

1 Answer


I have been able to solve my own problem by looking further into the libcrypto messages. I found a post referencing a bug when using php 7.2.14 and openssl 1.1.1 (

I deleted my libcrypto-1_1.dll and libssl-1_1.dll files and replaced them with once from openssl 1.1.0j. After restarting my server everything worked!

answered on Stack Overflow Nov 28, 2019 by LeanderJCC

User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0