I have a web in ASP.Net Core (4.6.1 framework) that uses Facebook and MS external login that I created with Visual Studio 2015 and opened in the new Visual Studio 2017 that came out yesterday. VS2017 made a few changes related to the csproj, project.json, etc files.
The site compiled and executed fine except for one part. If I did a Facebook or Microsoft external login, the site displayed this trap:
FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource, Version=126.96.36.199, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) System.Net.Http.WinHttpHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken) AggregateException: Unhandled remote failure. Microsoft.AspNetCore.Authentication.RemoteAuthenticationHandler+<HandleRemoteCallbackAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
The url in the browser showed that it was attempting to return from the external login to the local (https://localhost:44321/signin-facebook?code=... or /signin-microsoft).
The version number of the System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource.dll (and System.Net.Http.dll) is 4.6.24705.1.
I started a new VS2017 project from scratch with Facebook and MS login added and it worked fine - getting me logged on without the trap. The dll's were the same versions.
Comparing the two csproj files showed differences but nothing obvious (nothing related to System dlls):
The recommended answer did not resolve my issue. I was getting this error when trying to reference a .Net 4.6.2 lib in a .Net Core 2 project.
To resolve the issue I had to add the Microsoft.Windows.Compatibility nuget package. Credit to: https://medium.com/@ans_ashkan/asp-net-core-and-windows-event-log-75770a80a666
People using .NET Core web applications monitored with Application Insights hosted in App Services facing this issue
This when .NET Core web application has a dependency on 'System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource%u2019 binary and has this binary file deployed to /wwwroot/ folder, which is rare.
Work Around: Please set previous version of monitoring extension by changing this app setting if you experience the above issue: ApplicationInsightsAgent_EXTENSIONVERSION=2.8.24
After doing this please restart the application.
Here is the source
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0