I started encountering this problem after installing the Visual Studio 2015 RC; I am no longer able to debug web projects from Visual Studio 2013.
My projects build fine and VS launches a browser - I can see in my output that iisexpress.exe loads all the relevant DLLs for the project, but then right when I would expect to see my website, iisexpress.exe stops running and Visual Studio stops debugging. All the output Window tells me is this:
The program ' iisexpress.exe: Program Trace' has exited with code 0 (0x0). The program ' iisexpress.exe' has exited with code -532462766 (0xe0434352).
Looking in the event viewer I see the following crash info for iisexpress.exe:
Faulting application name: iisexpress.exe, version: 8.0.8418.0, time stamp: 0x4fbaa9e8 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23040, time stamp: 0x553e86a2 Exception code: 0xe0434352 Fault offset: 0x0000c44d Faulting process id: 0x1b40 Faulting application start time: 0x01d094d5c74c69d5 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
I've tried reinstalling IIS, deleting my local IISExpress folder, and still no luck. Anybody have an idea how I can get IIS running again?
Considering faulting module is not on IISExpress's dll files, this might be caused by either your web project or an unknown VS issue.
One thing we can try is to start the problematic web site without using VS. You can execute IISExpress.exe with /siteid option. You can find the site id from applicationhost.config which is placed on the config of IISExpress directory.
For example, if the site id is 2, you can run this command:
"\Program Files\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe" /siteid:2
If the web site still does not work, showing the Access Violation issue which you ran into when you launched the website via Visaul Studio, maybe you will need to narrow down the issue why that happens.
If the web site runs okay if you don't use Visual Studio, it might be caused by some Visual Studio issue. In that case, considering you used RC build of Visual Studio, you will need to upgrade VS 2015 first and check if the issue is still reproducible.
On top of all answers here, I believe this answer can be helpful to figure it out why this issue occurred:
System.StackOverflowException. I started my application without debugging and the two errors were IIS crashed and vstest.executionengine.x86.exe has stopped working (when trying to run the unit tests). Unfortunatelly, in the window event viewer I wasn't able to see the actual error. I saw it just when I started my application with debugger. So, if you have one of these errors, before doing some other investigations, please check your code. Because I was dumb, it took me 1 hour of my work time :(
None of the above answers worked for me but I finally found what my issue was. Hopefully this will help someone down the line.
First run IIS Express from command prompt to validate that the site can or cannot be run.
Im my case, i got an error saying that
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\CONFIG\web.config had malformed xml on line 14. Looking at that line in the file it just said null null null null null etc.
The fix for me was to replace the
web.config file with one from my coworkers'. IMPORTANT: you must get the file from someone running the same version, ie if you are VS2015 get a copy from someone running VS2015. If you get it from someone running a different version you will see an error saying it could not load an assembly from the manifest.
Hopefully this helps someone that has tried all the suggestions above. I think the cause of this for me was updating from trial mode and adding a product key within VS2017
I had a similar issue and this worked for me:
(i). Deleted IISExpress folder in Documents. (ii). Deleted almost everything in temp folder %temp% (may not be necessary but ...) (iii).Went into Control Panel\Programs\Turn windows features off and on and enabled IIS. (iv)Launched VS2013 project and opened and ran much faster with no apparent issue.
I found out, that the application starts from VS when I remove the WebAPI and OData Route (inclusive EnsureInitialized). So I updated all WebAPI libraries to version 5.2.4 and System.Threading to 4.3.0 and all problems vanished.
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0