I have a Samba share on a LAN with 2008 PDC/DNS. Smb authenticates with AD and I have several Win7 Machines that can connect fine.
I recently added a couple of new computers to the LAN which were imaged the same way (same software, etc.; different hardware so different drivers) as the other machines and they have the same policies set.
I can not get the new machines to connect to the samba share no matter what. I am always met with either
Unspecified Error 0x80004005 or
Network Path not found.
I've turned off the firewall; set LANMAN auth to respond to NTLM only/send LM & NTLM responses/use NTLM session security if negotiated in Local Sec Policy > SEcurity Options; tried both ip and hostname to connect.
SMB log shows that authentication succeeds; but then connection is immediately killed by the client.
tcpdump shows nothing remarkable except that when trying to connect from the client via hostname there is an unknown packet type error:
ack 201 win 255 NBT Session Packet: Unknown packet type 0xABData: (41 bytes)
Here's a couple of lines from that error:
11:18:37.964991 IP 001-client.domain.local.49372 > smb.domain.local.netbios-ssn: P 1670:2146(476) ack 201 win 255 NBT Session Packet: Unknown packet type 0xABData: (41 bytes)  AA 46 96 FA D5 99 33 75 0C C4 20 CE 26 42 F3 61 \252F\226\372\325\2313u \014\304 \316&B\363a  F0 8C FB 65 18 17 40 A5 DB 42 BB 94 37 53 92 EC \360\214\373e\030\027@\245 \333B\273\2247S\222\354  55 98 7F C4 AE 3D 6B 10 C4 U\230\177\304\256=k\020 \304 11:18:37.964998 IP smb.domain.local.netbios-ssn > 001-client.domain.local.49372: . ack 2146 win 100
[edit for strike: this turned out to be an issue with arp cache and the client being issued an old ip from dhcp that previously belonged to another machine]
I'm also getting this error consistently:
[2012/09/10 11:50:00.529650, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:1413(setup_new_vc_session) setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources.
Here's smb.conf just in case (though don't see how if other machines are working fine):
[global] workgroup = MYDOMAIN realm = MYDOMAIN.LOCAL server string = domain|smb share interfaces = eth1 security = ADS password server = 192.168.1.3 log level = 2 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log smb ports = 139 strict locking = no load printers = No local master = No domain master = No wins server = 192.168.1.3 wins support = Yes idmap uid = 500-10000000 idmap gid = 500-10000000 winbind separator = + winbind enum users = Yes winbind enum groups = Yes winbind use default domain = Yes [samba-share1] comment = SMB Share path = /home/share/smb/ valid users = @"MYDOMAIN+Domain Users" admin users = @"MYDOMAIN+Domain Admins" guest ok = no read only = No create mask = 0765 force directory mode = 0777
Any ideas what else I could try or look for? Or what might be the problem?
Noticed on the other machines that Local Security Policy > LAN Manager authentication level was Not Defined. There is no way to set it as such through the LSP editor, so had to go into regedit and delete
However, this didn't solve the issue. Am now met with
Accessing the resource '\\smb\share' has been disallowed. or
Unspecified Error depending on who I'm logged in as (regular user == former; admin == latter)
It's incredibly frustrating when you ask a question on SF and in the interim keep searching for answers only to find a couple of hours later your own question is repeatedly the first google result ;)
I ran Wireshark on the client, and so far as I can tell everything on the Samba end is working correctly. I see in a Negotiate Protocol Request an NT Status of STATUS_SUCCESS (which may very well be the authentication success, but don't know).
Everything is pointing to an issue on the Client itself. On other machines, everything works as expected. Including a VM running on my box. It works using both admin and regular user credentials.
NB the client I'm trying to get this working on has Firewall off and no a/v etc for the time being while trying to work this out.
I've updated the NIC driver and there is only 1 iface available. DNS is working and I've matched up all the settings I can find to the working VM and other working machines.
Getting desperate so any ideas would be awesome.
So the issue seems to have been that secpol was set to Digitally Sign Communications (Always).
To fix: Secpol.msc > Local Policies > Security Options > Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) => Disable
as the-wabbit said, it is better to update samba to handle the requirement rather than disable it so as to maintain security.
5 months i was searching whole net why after update win10 cannot acces to network drive on some servers and i got error 0x80004005 and in my case solution was to enable only smb 2 or 3 on server or just on windwos client in registry set value on 1 for: AllowInsecureGuestAuth in key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\
If the Samba server runs SMBv1, then new machines with Win10 have a problem, since they're missing the SMBv1 client function. To enable that function, follow this guide from windowscentral.com:
0x80004005 permission error:
for another reason I have no active
Client for Microsoft Networks in my WiFi dangle
Network panel and:
User contributions licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0